How to make Bengali Sponge Rasgulla/ Rossogolla/ Chenna?
Friends, today I’m presenting you a sweet dish recipe. I’m sharing with you how to make a Rasgulla/ Rossogolla? Rasgulla is a very popular sweet dish in India, especially in Bengal. That is why a Rasgulla of Bengal is well known. People often say, if you’re going to Bengal must eat Rasgulla (Rosso-Golla). Rasgulla is also known as Chenna/Chhena and Sponge.The Rasgulla is usually made from milk that is why people like to eat this during the fasting.
Take note of the ingredients you need for this recipe. The key ingredient for this recipe is milk. In addition to milk, you need sugar, lemon juice, Cardamom (Elichi) and Refine flour (Maida). Refine flour (Maida) is optional.
The measure of ingredients for this recipe is enough for 10-12 Rasgulla/ Chenna. This recipe will take 15 to 20 minutes making time.
Ingredients for making Bengali Sponge Rasgulla/ Rossogolla/ Chenna
Milk – 1 liter
Lemon juice – 1 Table Spoon
Sugar – 1 cup
Water – 4 cups
Refine flour (Maida) – 1 or 2 Tea Spoon (optional)
Cardamom (Elichi) – 1
Basic preparation for Bengali Rasgulla/ Rossogolla/ Chenna
- Boil milk on simmer gas flame. Add Lemon juice and stir occasionally. Cook it for approx 5 minutes.
- When Milk curdled completely turn the gas off. Let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Strain the water from Rasgulla/ Chenna with the help of cotton cloth.
- Dip this cotton cloth with Chenna in a large bowl of water for 5 minutes. This process will remove the lemon flavor from Chenna.
- Tied this Cotton hardly so that maximum water can remove properly. Press the cotton bag with some heavy weight so that the most water drains out from Chenna.
Method for making Bengali Sponge Rasgulla
Step 1: Boil 4 cups of water in a large pan. Now add Sugar and boil until sugar gets dissolved. Now add crushed Cardamom and stir well.
Step 2: Remove Channa from cotton cloth and mash well with the help of palms. Repeat this mashing process for 4-5 minutes, for a smooth and lump free Chenna. Now add refined flour and make smooth dough.
Step 3: Now make medium sizes balls from this dough. Press the balls properly from palms for better finishing.
Step 4: Now transfer these balls into Sugar syrup and boil on simmer gas flame for 10 minutes.
Keep the pan lid close while this process. Turn the gas off and let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
Yours Bengali Sponge Rasgulla are ready. Transfer these Rasgulla with sugar syrup in the fridge for cooling. Enjoy chilled Rasgulla.
Few useful tips for Bengali Sponge Rasgulla/ Rossogolla/ Chenna
1) Cardamom (Elichi) is optional. I used Cardamom for good flavor.
2) I used refined flour for binding Chenna. If your Chenna is hard and you feel no water is left in it. Do not add refined flour in it.
3) Make a small ball of Chenna initially and drop in sugar syrup for testing. If Chenna starts getting fluffy without breakage, add the rest of the balls.
4) If Chenna balls fail in syrup test, then add a bit amount of refined flour (Maida) or Corn Flour.