How to make Sabudana Vada (Pearl Sago cutlets)?
When you eat Sabudana (Pearl Sago) dish last time? I know your answer. Normally people use to eat Sabudana dish during illness or fasting. That is why people do not like Sabudana dishes so much in normal days. Little experiment can convert tasteless Sabudana into an interesting and tasty dish.
Today I will tell you a special recipe of Sabudana. It is called as Sabudana Vada. I am sure you will love it. Sabudana vada is a little known dish. Have you ever tried this recipe? If not, let’s get ready; I am sharing with you a simple and easy recipe of Sabudana vada (cutlets).
Vada is a very famous in Maharastra, usually made by Potato. Here is a little twist. I used Sabudana as a main ingredient with a combination of Potatoes.
An easy recipe, cooked simply with very few ingredients and turns out as a mouth watering, healthy snacks.
Basic things you have to arrange in your kitchen are some Sabudana, Boiled Potatoes, few chills, Buckwheat flour (Quito ka Atta) or refined flour and Rock salt.
Ingredients for making Sabudana (Pearl Sago) Vada
Pearl Sago (Sabudana) – 1 cup
Potatoes (Aloo) – 3 to 4 medium
Green chillies – 1-2 finely chopped
Ginger (Adrak) – 1 table spoon finely chopped
Lime juice -2 table spoon
Coriander leaves (dhania) – few chopped
Buckwheat flour (Quito ka Atta) -3 table spoon
Rock salt / sendha Namak – According to taste
Oil – for frying
Method for making Sabudana (Pearl Sago) Vada
Step 1: Soak the Sabudana, in enough water over night. Make sure Sabudana soaked properly. Drain off excess water.
Step 2: Mix together Sabudana, Potatoes, green chilies, Coriander leaves, lemon juice and salt. Mix well.
Step 3: Divide into medium size balls,flatten to give a Tikki shape. Dust some Buckwheat flour (Quito ka Atta).
Step 4: Heat sufficient oil in a pan and deep fry vadas in hot oil till golden brown. Remove extra oil from vadas from tissue paper.
Your Sabudana Vada is ready to serve. Enjoy it with chutney or sauce.
Just follow these simple four steps and enjoy Sabudana Vada with family.
Few useful tips
1. You can even use normal salt in Sabudana Vada.
2. Buckwheat flour (Quito ka Atta) is optional if using other then fast. You can use refined flour.
3. Make sure your burner flame is medium while frying vadas. This will give vadas more crunchy taste.
4. Make sure you drain Sabudana properly, otherwise you have to add more flour. This will change the taste.
5. Serve it with curd.
Let’s have a look at some facts about Sabudana.
1) Many dishes can be cooked from Sabudana (Pearl Sago) like: Kheer, Halwa, khichri. Sabudana called
differently in many places, Sabudana in Hindi, Javvarishi in Tamil & Chowwary in Malayalam.Sabudana (Pearl Sago) is also considered as a healthy food for sick person. It’s good for digestive system too.
2) Sabudana (Pearl Sago) vada is one of my favourite fasting recipe, because its healthy as well as good for stomach. You can serve it to kids. My one year old son loves it too much.
Friends, hope you will try this. In coming days I will share many more recipes of Sabudana (Pearl Sago).